Dual Enrollment and Early Admission Programs

Due to certain legislative changes, most state colleges and universities are charging private schools for their students' tuition. See "Dual Enrollment FAQs" by the Florida Department of Education for more information.

Except as noted above, Florida high schooled students can take free classes at colleges and universities and get credit toward their high school diploma and an associate or baccalaureate degree simultaneously.

Dual Enrollment

The dual enrollment program allows high school students to earn credit toward high school completion and a career certificate or an associate or baccalaureate degree.  While generally open to all high school students, some colleges and universities will only allow juniors and seniors to participate in this program.

Early Admission

Early admission is a form of dual enrollment that allows high school seniors to enroll in college or career courses at colleges and universities on a full-time basis.

Eligibility Criteria

Any high school student may enroll in courses creditable toward both a high school diploma and a career certificate or an associate or baccalaureate degree. Private high school students must satisfy any course prerequisites and meets the following requirements:

  • The private school must have an articulation agreement in place if one is required by the college or university.
  • Students must obtain approval from the high school administrator;
  • Students wanting to enroll in career courses must demonstrate readiness for career-level coursework;
  • Students must hold a 3.0 unweighted GPA for college credit courses or a 2.0 unweighted GPA for career certificate courses;
  • Students must pass the appropriate college placement test (SAT, ACT, or CPT); and
  • Any other eligibility criteria as required by the college or university.

Tuition and Fees

High school students enrolled in public schools or who are registered as homeschoolers with their district schools are exempt from the payment of registration, tuition, and lab fees. Most Florida state colleges and universities are now charging private school students standard tuition rates. Besides transportation and basic school supplies, private school students and students registered as homeschoolers with their district schools are also responsible for the cost of instructional materials.

Who Should Enroll

Dual enrollment courses are college-level courses presented on an adult level, and the amount of work necessary to succeed in these courses is greater than in high school courses.  It is important that your child is dedicated to his or her studies and understands what is expected before enrolling. Students must be self-disciplined and motivated to study outside of class.  Dual enrollment courses become a part of your child's permanent college transcript and are calculated into his or her permanent high school GPA.  Students who receive a failing grade may have difficulty meeting future admission requirements at colleges and universities and difficulty qualifying for financial aid and scholarships.

How to Enroll

Check with your local college or university to find out what their enrollment policies, deadlines, and procedures are.  There are specific deadlines for applying for dual enrollment, placement testing (if your child does not already have qualifying test scores), and approvals. In addition, if your child is enrolled in an umbrella school and it does not already have an articulation agreement with your chosen college or university, you will want to have sufficient time for the schools to process the necessary paperwork.

Something to Note

Students who obtain an associate of arts degree while in high school may have admission priority or possibly guaranteed admission when transferring directly from a Florida public community college to a Florida state university. However, according to the FAQs published by the Florida Department of Education Dual enrollment college credit will transfer to any public college or university offering the statewide course number...However, if students do not, upon high school graduation, attend the same college or university where they earned the dual enrollment credit, the application of transfer credit to general education, prerequisite, and degree programs may vary at the receiving institution. This means that students should make sure their dual enrollment credits will transfer to future colleges or universities.

Copyright © 2018 Aspiring Heights Academy. All Rights Reserved.